All auto insurance policies could be described as “same-day” or “instant car insurance.” You can shop around for quotes, find a rate you like, and buy it all in one day. Insurance companies often advertise “free and instant auto insurance quotes,” but any quote you receive should come for free. There are affordable options online, although finding an auto insurance policy will require comparing different insurance rates. Here is how to get cheap instant car insurance:
- Gather important information about your driving history and your car.
- Get an auto insurance quote.
- Understand the different coverage options.
- Compare insurance rates.
- Choose the insurance that is right for you.
- Make payment.
1. What Information Do I Need to Get an Auto Insurance Quote?
To get an accurate quote, have the following information available. These are some of the most common things an insurance provider will require when giving a quote:
- Driver’s license numbers, current mailing address, date of birth, marital status. This applies to each driver you will have on your insurance policy.
- The year, make, and model or the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle or vehicles you will have covered. Every vehicle has a VIN. This number is unique to each vehicle so its history can be tracked. Most insurance companies will require a VIN before they will issue a policy.
- The odometer reading, or the cars “mileage.”
- The date you purchased the vehicle.
- Name of the registered owner.
- Recent driving history of any individuals included in the policy, including accidents, claims, citations, or completed driving courses.
- Proof of prior coverage. Some companies require at least six months of continuous coverage before they will provide coverage.
In some cases, only a few of these will be necessary, or you may need to provide additional information not included in this list if asked by your insurance company.
2. Getting a Car Insurance Quote
Once you have all the important information, you are ready to get your quote. Every major insurance company will be able to provide a same-day insurance quote completely free of charge. Most insurance companies have easy-to-use websites for completing a quote online. Type in the required information you gathered previously, and the quote should be instant and reliable. Many insurance companies offer competitive rates online. Nationwide, GEICO and Progressive are some of the most affordable companies that offer policies online.
3. Understanding Different Coverage Options
When obtaining car insurance online, you have several car insurance coverage options to choose from. Make sure to find the one that most fits your needs. Some common coverage types are:
- Comprehensive – Comprehensive coverage covers damage caused by something other than a collision. This could be damage from fire, wind, or rain; vandalism or theft; and falling objects.
- Collision – Collision insurance covers repairs related to an accident with another vehicle or a static object, such as a curb, tree, or telephone pole.
- Gap coverage – Gap insurance is coverage that helps pay your car loan if your car is stolen or totaled, and you owe more than the car’s depreciated value. This type of insurance is also called “loan gap coverage.” This coverage is only available if you’re the original loan or leaseholder.
- Uninsured motorist – Uninsured motorist coverage pays to repair or replace your vehicle when the other motorist is deemed at-fault for an accident and does not have the minimum liability insurance.
- Bodily injury liability – Bodily injury liability coverage pays for medical expenses and lost income as a result of injuries sustained in an accident you are at fault for. Bodily injury liability may also help pay for certain legal fees in the event that you’re taken to court over a collision that caused injury to a driver or passenger.
4. Compare Insurance Rates
To find affordable options you should compare insurance rates online for each policy. As well as the type of coverage that you choose, your rates depend on many different factors, including your age, credit history, driving record, the vehicle being insured, and your location. Insurance companies calculate this rate, known as your “premium,” depending on these factors. For example, if you’re an inexperienced driver or have a poor credit history, your rates will usually be higher than an experienced driver or a driver with a good credit history.
5. Choose The Insurance That is Right For You
Now that you have some insurance quotes and understand the type of coverage that best covers you, you can review each company’s details and choose the right one for your needs. You may want to look into more than just the monthly price. You should narrow down the choices to two or three providers and then take some time to look at customer reviews. When you’re looking at different insurance companies, you should examine the following:
- Customer service
- Financial stability
- Ease of payment
You can find more information about an insurance company’s financial stability on websites like A.M. Best. And for your own convenience, you should look at whether the company offers autopay or online payment options.
Now that you’ve picked a policy, choose a payment option to complete the purchase. All major insurance companies will have options to pay online using your credit card, debit card, or bank account information. Many offer autopay and paperless billing options as well. Once your transaction goes through, you can download your proof of insurance card and print it out. Some companies have an app you can download to your smartphone that will display your proof of insurance, so no need for a printer. Congratulations—you are now an insured driver!
When shopping for instant or same-day car insurance, remember that understanding your options and doing your research has a major impact on the amount of money your insurance can cost you, both in the short term and the long term. With this information, you can find the right coverage at the best price.